Do you know you can migrate your Whatsapp Data on your Android phone to your new iOS device?
WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps worldwide, with millions of users exchanging messages, photos, and videos every day. If you are an Android user who has recently switched to iOS, you may be wondering how to transfer your WhatsApp chat data from your old Android device to your new iPhone. While this process can be a bit tricky, it is not impossible. In this article, we will provide you with two step-by-step guides on how to transfer your WhatsApp chat data from Android to iOS. It’s left to you to choose the option you want to go with. And note this is not a comparison between the two methods but just showing you how possible it is to migrate your WhatsApp data from Android to iOS without losing any of your information.
What do you need?
- Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or above, or Android 5 or above installed on your Android device
- iOS 15.5 or above installed on your iPhone
- Move to iOS app installed on your Android phone
- Note: Using other data migration apps is not supported, and will cause migration issues.
- WhatsApp iOS version 126.96.36.199 or above on your new device
- WhatsApp Android version 188.8.131.52 or above on your old device
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new device
- Your iPhone must be factory new or reset to factory settings to pair with the Move to iOS app and move data from your Android phone
- Both of your devices must be connected to a power source
- Both of your devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you’ll need to connect your Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot
How to migrate from Android to iPhone
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
- Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Start when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.
You will see your chats on the new device after you complete its activation. Notably, the transferred data will not be uploaded to iCloud until you create a backup. The data will remain on your Android device until you uninstall WhatsApp or wipe your smartphone.
Note: Going to Files and selecting the WhatsApp folder in the Move to iOS app isn’t supported during migration.
Step 1: Backup your WhatsApp data on your Android device
Before you can transfer your WhatsApp chat data to your new iPhone, you will need to backup your chat history on your Android device. To do this, open WhatsApp on your Android device and go to Settings > Chats > Chat backup. Here, you can choose to backup your chats to Google Drive or your device’s internal storage. Make sure to select a backup frequency and to include videos in your backup if desired.
Step 2: Download and install WhatsApp on your iOS device
Next, you will need to download and install WhatsApp on your iOS device. You can do this by opening the App Store on your iPhone, searching for “WhatsApp,” and then downloading and installing the app. Once you have installed WhatsApp, open the app and follow the on-screen instructions to set up your account.
Step 3: Transfer your WhatsApp data to your iPhone
Once you have installed and set up WhatsApp on your iPhone, you can begin the process of transferring your chat data from your Android device. To do this, you will need a third-party tool such as the “WazzapMigrator” app, which is available on the App Store. This app will allow you to transfer your WhatsApp data from your Android device to your iPhone.
To use WazzapMigrator, you will first need to copy your WhatsApp backup file from your Android device to your iPhone. You can do this by connecting your Android device to your computer and copying the WhatsApp backup file to your computer. Then, connect your iPhone to your computer and use iTunes to copy the WhatsApp backup file to your iPhone.
Next, open WazzapMigrator on your iPhone and follow the on-screen instructions to transfer your WhatsApp data to your iPhone. This process may take some time depending on the size of your backup file, so be patient and wait for the process to complete.
Step 4: Verify your WhatsApp data on your iPhone
Once the transfer process is complete, open WhatsApp on your iPhone and verify that your chat data has been transferred successfully. You should be able to see all of your chats, messages, and media files from your Android device on your iPhone.
Transferring your WhatsApp chat data from Android to iOS can be a bit complicated, but with the right tools and a bit of patience, it is definitely possible. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that all of your important WhatsApp chats and data are transferred to your new iPhone, so you can continue using the app without missing a beat.