The application for the 2022 TechGirls Exchange program is on. As an initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs whose mission is to increase mutual understanding between the United States and the people of other countries through educational and cultural exchange, TechGirls connects and support the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
The exchange program has trained 343 teenage girls between the ages of 15 and 17 since 2012, by providing them access and opportunities to advance their skills and pursue their dreams.
The program takes place over a period of four (4) weeks between July 8th and August 3rd 2022 in the United States of America. It pairs these international participants with American female tech leaders to empower and mentor them to reach their full potential in the industry.
Facts about the program
The TechGirls Exchange program:
- Takes place in the United States in partnership with Virginia Tech University,
- Is a four-week program tentatively scheduled for July 2022,
- Is followed by a 8-month mentoring program,
- Is taking 111 young women from 36 participating countries.
What are the benefits of the exchange program?
The exchange program covers the following cost:
- visa costs,
- roundtrip costs for all participants,
- housing during the duration of the program,
- meals during the duration of the program
- local transportation to events
- emergency health insurance.
Who can apply for the program?
To apply, you must be:
- From one of the following eligible countires:
- Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa
- East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia
- South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
- Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
- United States of America
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 17 by July 7th, 2022,
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies,
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology,
- Have strong English language skills,
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness,
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon your return to your home country, and
- Committed to completing a community-based project upon your return home.
The program will give preference to young women who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. Applications open on the 16th of November 2021 and will close at 06:00 PM WAT on the 15th of January 2022. Semifinalists will be contacted via email around March 1 for the next stage of interviews and final decisions will be made in early April. All applicants will be notified of the results of their application. To apply visit the official TechGirls application page.