New post Need visibility? Apply for a FREE post for your Startup.  Apply Here

Big StoryNews

Toshiba quits laptop business.

1 Mins read

Toshiba which was among the highest laptop bidders consumers wanted, but as more players crowded into the market and with fewer unique features to offer, Toshiba’s laptops waned in popularity.

Toshiba on August 4th released a statement that it’s deal with selling of its shares has been completed, ending a 35-year run by transferring its remaining minority stake in its PC business to Sharp. Two years ago, Toshiba sold about 80% stake of its PC business to Sharp for $36 million, and Sharp renamed the division to Dynabook. Sharp exercised its right to buy the remaining 20% of shares back in June which has been confirmed completed.

The company made the first PC laptop in 1985: The T1100 boasted internal rechargeable batteries, a 3.5-inch floppy drive, and 256K of memory. ComputerWorld’s 20-year retrospective of the T1100 notes that Toshiba executives were unsure about the portable computer, but eventually came around, and began selling the T1100 for about $2,000.

As a result of the completed deal, Dynabook now fully becomes Sharp’s.

Don’t miss any tech news ever!

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Related posts
ArticleBig StoryNewsRandom

WhatsApp Extends Voice Status Updates Up One Minute Long

2 Mins read
Just like I wrote in my previous article on WhatsApp extending the video status update from 30 seconds to one minute, WhatsApp…
News

Africa needs to double spending to $6b to bridge digital divide: IFC

1 Mins read
Africa must significantly ramp up investments in digital infrastructure if it hopes to connect more people and businesses to the internet, according…
News

Flutterwave suffers another major security breach, loses billions

1 Mins read
Nigerian fintech unicorn, Flutterwave, has suffered yet another devastating security breach, with unknown perpetrators illegally diverting billions of naira into unauthorized accounts…
Newsletter Subscription

🤞 Don’t miss any update!

We don’t spam! Read more in our privacy policy

Join our Telegram channel here - t.me/TechpadiAfrica

Leave a Reply